• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Lungs ache when I don't smoke

D n A

Bluelighter
I'm attempting to quit smoking at the moment, and whenever I haven't had a smoke for a few days my chest/lungs starts to burn and ache. Any idea why? And what can I do for the pain, because it's rather irritating. I've loosened my bra to prevent my lungs from feeling restricted and have been trying to get more fresh air, but they still hurt :(

well first off good luck at quitting smoking, i know its hard but it is possible! :)
your lungs are probably just burned out, how much are you smoking a day?
a few supplements that i've read/heard about that help with smokers' lungs are cayanne and NAC,
im a tad busy atm but if i have tonight ill deffinitley find the links.

try doing cardio running a few times a week, i bet that will help!
best of luck :)

and sorry if i sound overly-happy,
stupid adderall has me more than content :D

I don't smoke that much. Maybe around 5 or so a day. I'm going for a nice long walk later tonight, hopefully that will help clean them out a bit..

Hey D n A, nice job on quitting. I smoked a pack or more a day for a few years, and it was a pretty tough habit to break. I quit multiple times. I remember that my lungs, chest, and throat generally did hurt each and every time I quit. I equated it to my lungs "cleaning themselves out". Just wait it out, it will get better. In fact it will get MUCH better, to the point where you are so glad that you quit because you forgot how easy it was to breathe as a nonsmoker! Walking and easy exercise like that is definitely good for you. As far as the pain and irritation go, I would probably just try taking some vitamins or eating foods high in nutrients, drinking hot tea, and maybe steaming yourself in the shower. Hope you feel better! Just know that it gets worse before it gets better, way better!

I've quit before for a couple days and it also happened then, I did indeed use steam (works very well). I went for a nice long walk earlier and that helped. I'm feeling much better so far, and hopefully tomorrow they won't be aching so much. Thanks for the advice.

Congratulations Dna.....Stopping smoking is only as hard as you make it. I used to smoke heavily as fuck and gave up without any problems whatsoever, simply decided that it wasn't worth fucking my lungs and skin up any more and stopped a piece of piss, no hassle. You can too. Luckily, you only smoked 5 a day, which is a very small amount. The hardest part for you will be the habit, as opposed to chemical dependency. You will get over it soon enough.

Here, this might interest you:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Your lungs will thank you. Soon you will feel so much better. There's a noticeably clean feeling in your body when you stop. You wll notoice it, definitely. I still enjoy the odd joint, and each time I do, I end up regretting it as I feel dirty. You just feel so much more crisp, fresh and clean when you don't smoke.
And thinking about it, it's a really insane thing to do: burn a highly-carcinogenic leaf laden with disgusting chemicals and inhale the resulting carbon emission, fucking up your own health and without even achieving a decent high. There is NO POINT.

You can do this. Exercise/walking/running will help massively. Eating a balanced diet will help massively as well....I used to find I'd get more cravings on days where I consumed caffeine and sugar.

Take care!

The hardest part for you will be the habit, as opposed to chemical dependency. You will get over it soon enough.

Quoted for truth.
I tried out a nicotine patch last Sunday and even when it kicked in, I still wanted to have a cigarette. I figured it was because I wanted to actually go through the actions of smoking a cigarette, especially after I'd eaten - all habit.

After eating seems to be the hardest time for everyone.

You feel unsatisfied after a meal until you have your cigarette?

You need to simply stay strong and possibly try to keep busy after your meal. Do whatever it takes, but as habits take time to build up, they also take time to kick. It's a matter of willpower. You do have it in you to do this, it's just how much belief in yourself that you can do it.

Stay strong. Like I said, only a 5-a-day habit isn't too bad. You could find after just a couple days that you don't really give a shit.

Right, it is the habit. Like for some people ;) after a very spicy meal or something, you feel the desire to have something sweet. Well you don't have to completely break that entire habit, you could just change it to something healthier. Like for example, instead of having dessert every day you could have a cup of tea or chew some gum. You could try the same thing after a meal, just to get your mind off it and creating a new habit that's healthy for you. It's like replacing an addiction with an addiction (or routine, lets say ;) ) that's positive!